Dear Dr. Dave and Dr. Dee,
Is there a great gift for someone who gardens? My sister spends a lot of time in the garden. Any suggestions? Also, I want to keep it under $50.
Gift for Gardening Girl
Dear Gift for Gardening Girl,
There are a wide variety of possible gifts for the gardener depending on their particular interests and whether they already have some items or not.
Below are 10 suggestions for great gardening gifts that are affordable. You could also make a gift basket of items for the gardener:
1. Gear: mud gloves, rose gloves, rubber clogs, kneeling pad, knee pads, waist apron, wide brimmed hat, garden tote.
2. Containers: vase, pots, planters, urns.
3. Tools: pruners, bonsai scissors, trowel, hand rake, weeder, hose reel or holder.
4. Books: favorites such as perennials, biennials, annuals, roses, orchids, herbs, vegetable gardens, fruit trees, butterfly gardens.
5. Skin Care: soaps, lotions, lip balm, nail brush.
6. Garden Accents: wind chimes, hummingbird feeder, bird house, plaque, suncatcher, lantern, thermometer, sundial, glass balls.
7. Gift certificate to favorite nursery.
8. Subscription to gardening magazine.
9. Membership to a horticultural society.
10. Plants: if you know what plants the gardener likes, i.e. perennials, border plants, shrubs, potted plants bonsai.