Tweet Follow @DrdaveAnddee
FREE SHIPPING on orders $25 and over!

Up to 50% less than retail

Earache Caused By Water

Dear Dr. Dave and Dr. Dee,

Our five-year-old son has an earache and we are not sure if we should see a doctor or just buy ear drops? This is the first time that he has ever complained that his ear hurts. He doesn't have a cold or fever. His ear started hurting after his swimming lessons. Could he have gotten this from other children?


What to do?

Dear What to do?

You should consult your doctor about the earache. If a bacterial infection is causing the earache then your physician will prescribe antibiotic ear drops or oral antibiotics. Also, ask your doctor about giving your son Tylenol, Motrin, or Advil to relieve pain.

An infection of the ear canal, otitis externa, is a common problem especially for children who spend a lot of time in the water. Otitis externa is sometimes called swimmer's ear and is not contagious

Other signs that indicate swimmer's ear are if your son has ear pain when he yawns or swallows. If you gently wiggle the ear or press in front of the ear canal and the pain increases, then he most likely has swimmer's ear. Avoid getting water in his ear until his treatment is done.

To help prevent swimmer's ear, after bathing or swimming, make sure your son gets all the water out of his ears by turning his head to each side and dries his ears gently with a towel.