We are going on a tropical trip and I bought a new tankini swimsuit that has a short skirt. But, I'm still uncomfortable showing my thighs as they are not toned and the backs of my thighs show some cellulite. Is there an exercise to help me?
Dreading to wear swimsuit
Dear Dreading to wear swimsuit,
Two exercises to help tone and trim the thigh and buttock areas are squats and lunges. Both are very simple and can be done in sets any time of the day. Do 2-3 sets of each exercise at least three times a week.
Also, include moderate exercises such as walking at an easy pace about 20 minutes several times a week to help burn fat. Besides exercising, eating healthy is very important.
HOW TO DO SQUATS
1. Stand with feet slightly apart, about hip-width apart.
2. Keeping back straight, as you squat down slowly, raise arms out straight forward for balance. Squat down as if to sit on a chair. In fact, you can have a chair behind you, and just as you touch the chair, stand back up.
3. Do 8-12 repetitions. Do 2-3 sets of reps.
HOW TO DO LUNGES
1. Standing straight with feet together, take a large step forward with one leg (feet will be about 2-1/2 feet apart).
2. Keeping your upper body straight and arms at your sides, touch your back knee to the floor, bending front leg and keeping the front shin perpendicular to the floor.
3. Push back up keeping legs in same position and repeat, almost touching the back knee to the floor.
4. Do 8-12 repetitions on one leg.
5. Switch legs and do 8-12 reps. Do 2-3 sets of reps.
As you gain more strength, you can add weights to each side by holding dumbbells in each hand. If you don't wish to buy dumbbells, then hold a can of food, or even a gallon of milk in each hand.