Tweet Follow @DrdaveAnddee
FREE SHIPPING on orders $25 and over!

Up to 50% less than retail

Toys Toxic Throw Out

Dear Dr. Dave and Dr. Dee,

My Mom buys our five-year-old daughter toys that she has found at garage sales at really cheap prices. However, another parent warned me that these toys could have lead in them. What should I do?


Toys Toxic?

Dear Toys Toxic,

Toys that contain lead or are coated with lead-containing paint can be harmful if children suck or chew on the toy, or plays with the toy and then puts their fingers in their mouth.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has a "Toy Hazard Recalls" list of product recalls for children. To find out if any of your daughter's toys contain lead or have been recalled for other safety reasons, go to:

Any toys that have lead or are dangerous for your child should be thrown out. Do not donate these items to charities because then another child might receive the dangerous toys.

If you are concerned that your child has already been exposed to lead, then see your doctor who will order a blood test for your daughter.