We are thinking of extending our counter top and making an eating area with bar stools. How tall should the bar stool be? We've looked at stools that are 26, 28, 30, and 32 inches.
Too many choices
Dear Too many choices,
The height of the bar stool depends on the height of the counter top. Basically, allow about 12 inches between the bar stool seat and the countertop.
There are many styles and sizes of bar stools. Below are some basic guidelines for buying bar stools or chairs from www.barstools.com.
1. Measure table or counter: height from floor to counter and length of the counter top.
2. Bar Stool Height: allow about 12 inches between the bar stool seat and counter top. More space may be needed if buying bar stools with arms in order to fit under the counter top.
3. Number of Bar Stools: measure your counter top length and allow about 28 inches for each seating area. For example, if your counter top is 90 inches long, divide by 28 and you get 3.21. So, three bar stools would fit comfortably at the counter.
4. Comfort versus Cost: it may cost more, but bar stools that swivel would be easier to get into and out of. In addition, chair arms and upholstered seats are more comfortable, but may add to the cost.
5. Small Spaces: backless bar stools that fit under the counter top are best for confined areas.